During the May 1, 2012 City Council meeting, the City of Carrollton amended several aspects of its ordinance regulating solicitors and the placement handbills. The ordinance amendments were drafted in response to both citizen and departmental concerns for public safety, and provide a tool to more effectively address soliciting practices that cause public safety concerns.
Some notable changes to the ordinance include the following:
· Added a provision to disallow permits to persons convicted of crimes of moral turpitude
· Changed the daily ending time of solicitation to 5pm STD time and 6pm DST time
· Added no solicitation time to all day on Sundays and identified holidays
· Prohibits activities on roadways, medians, and intersections
· Added a provision that if handbill is left on a premises marked no solicitation, the citizen can make a complaint thus allowing the permit of the individual or organization to be revoked
· Added a provision that requires individuals to have both a valid permit issued to them and a state or U.S. government issued identification while soliciting
· Added a provision requiring applicant to list all cities where he is currently soliciting or distributing handbills and any cities where he has been denied or revoked
· Added a provision requiring a background and warrant check on adults
· Added a provision requiring nonprofits to provide documents proving IRS status
· Added provision for staff to verify the nonprofit status of the applicant with the State Comptroller of Public Accounts
· Allows the exemption of the application fee for nonprofits, but they still must undergo the background and warrant check
· Defined that nonprofits allowing children to solicit may continue to do so and only the supervising adult would be required to obtain a permit (for example, a Girl Scout leader is the only person required to be permitted)
Enforcement of the ordinance will be through the form of citation, arrest, or administrative measures at the discretion of the Carrollton Police Department.
City of Carrollton, 1945 E. Jackson Road, Carrollton, Texas 75006 | Tel: (972) 466-3000 | Site Map
The City of Carrollton, Texas is not responsible for the content of external sites.
Thank you for visiting the City of Carrollton, Texas website.