Join in a community celebration recognizing the outstanding contributions of Black Trailblazers from the City of Carrollton.
Jimmy Porter, played baseball in the Negro Leagues: Jimmy Porter Park was dedicated in 1968 and developed in 1975.
Mary Heads Carter, teacher: Mary Heads Carter Park and Kids Corral (2320 Heads Lane) opened March 6, 1992.
African Americans have lived in the area since the 1800s, before Carrollton was official incorporated as a City in 1913. Early settlers included Rufus and Betty Heads, who lived on Keller Springs Road in the 1800s in the area now dedicated as Mary Heads Carter Park. Descendants of the family continued to make great contributions to the community, including Annie Heads Rainwater after whom the Carrollton-Farmers Branch ISD dedicated an elementary school in 1994. The Carrollton Black History program will feature speeches, singing and skits depicting the rich Black heritage in the City of Carrollton. Make plans to attend this community celebration which everyone will enjoy!
Christ Community Connection, Inc.
A 501c (3) Charitable Organization
Willie Rainwater, Director
2006 Southern Oak Carrollton, TX 75007
City of Carrollton, 1945 E. Jackson Road, Carrollton, Texas 75006 | Tel: (972) 466-3000 | Site Map
The City of Carrollton, Texas is not responsible for the content of external sites.
Thank you for visiting the City of Carrollton, Texas website.